Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Windshield wipers

So in my car I've had an issue with my windshield wipers since the beginning.  The park function didn't work, I would turn off the switch and they would stay exactly in that spot, quite annoying.  So I figured I would take the motor out and see what I could do to fix it.

After reading through Speedy Jim's wiring on windshield wipers, I realized I've got a motor from a bug with steering column mounted switch like this:

It was the green wire that gave it away.  But my car is a '68 with dash mounted switch like this:



So after figuring out the differences in the wiring, in theory it should be fairly simple to make the motor with the green wire hookup the same as the motor without.  A few mods would be necessary to make them behave the same, they are like this:


As you can see I had to cut the ground wire from pin 31 on the cam.  I also had to cut the green wire on 31b to 53e.  Then to make the hookups, I routed pin 31 on the cam to the park side of the switch, on my switch it is pin 31b.  pin 31b on the cam the is hooked up to pin 53 on the motor.  The last thing is 53e on the switch will need to be grounded.

So here is a before and after picture:

This is how it came out of the car.  
Wiring is as follows, left to right:
Green, Black/yellow, Black, ground, black/grey




This is after the mod is done.  As you can see it is only a little bit different.
Wiring as follows, left to right:
Green jumped, black/yellow, black with green jumper, ground removed; changed to brown, black/grey


I tested the motor without a switch last night and it works as planned, so tonight I hope to get the switch hooked up for the final test.

No comments: