Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Megajolt

As stated before I am using a Megajolt as an ignition controller.  "The Megajolt Lite Jr. (MJLJ) is a fully programmable, stand-alone ignition controller designed to control a Ford EDIS 4, 6 or 8 crank-fired ignition module. The result is a precision, digitally controlled distributor-less ignition system."


I am using this with the Ford EDIS 4, as the VW is a 4 cylinder engine.
My plan is to wire the MJLJ to the Arduino using the built on serial ports.
Since I'm using an Seeeduino mega, I've got 4 serial ports available to use.  The mega will read the serial stream of the MJLJ and display RPM, timing, engine load, and possibly more on the LCD screens I have hooked up.


I will post code to do this when it's ready, in the mean time, sit tight.
This is a MAX233 chip, it converts +/- 12 volt serial to 0/5 volt ttl voltages, this allows the MJLJ to talk to the mega without modification.  I used the 233 instead of a 232 because I'm lazy, and didn't want to bother with charge pump caps, they're built in.

This is the MJLJ, you can kind of see in the top left corner a black plug thing, it is a headphone jack that I've wired into the serial cable, it will normally be hooked up to the mega's serial port via the 233 chip, but, I have made a cable that plugs into it that will disconnect the mega, and re-rotue the serial data to my computer.  By doing that I can reprogram the MJLJ without having to fumble around disconnecting wires.  I will try and get a better picture to show what I've done.


No comments: