Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Arduino fixed

So I finally got my FTDI breakout board I ordered from Sparkfun.  So I hooked it up right away and it works again, finally.

Here is a pic of it

I hooked the Gnd, TX, RX, and DTR pins up.  I didn't hook up VCC, because I only need the FTDI board powered when I want to upload, plus then I can use the USB power to disconnect anything else that is on the same serial port automatically.

So pinout is like this:

FTDI  -  Arduino
Gnd    -  Gnd
TX      -  RX
RX      -  TX
DTR    -  DTR

I also had to remove the solder joint beside the FTDI chip to disable the 3.3 volt, and then I soldered I wire from VCCIO to VCC, which converted everything to 5 volts.

The DTR line is used for the auto reset feature, if you don't care about that, then don't hook it up.  Myself, I want everything to be as automatic as possible.  Once everything is installed into the car I won't have easy access.

No comments: